Valencia City Celebrates Dental Health Month

The Public Employment Service Office (PESO) of Valencia City conducted an orientation activity for summer job seekers under the Special Program for the Employment of Students (SPES) on April 5, 2016 at the City Covered Court.

SPES is mandated under Republic Act No. 7323 and Republic Act No. 9547 which assists poor but deserving students and out-of-school youths intending to pursue their education by encouraging employment during summer, Christmas vacation or any time of the year for students in the tertiary, technical, or vocational level.

The objective of the SPES is to develop the intellectual capacities of children of poor families and harness their potentials for the country's well-being.

According to Ms. Elna B. Guzman, MPSM, Valencia City PESO Manager, over 325 selected students availed the program with 20 working days of employment. “The SPES is open to all qualified high school, college or vocational students or drop-outs and interested employers,” Guzman added.

Each student will be detailed in different barangay and will be assigned on particular job as directed by their immediate head.

During the orientation, Ms. Guzman helped the students understand the program and discussed the application and qualification process. "This orientation is important as this will help the students know their role and job function," Guzman said.

All selected students will be receiving a salary wage of 250 pesos per day to support their schooling.

Ms. Guzman also said that 60% of the budget used for the program is shouldered by the LGU while the remaining 40% is shouldered by the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE).

On the other hand, the City Environment and Natural Resources Office encouraged the students under SPES to participate the clean-up drive in celebration of the upcoming Earth Day on April 22, 2016.

The city government assured to help expose the students in different activities for them to become active members of the community. Through the support of City Mayor Azucena P. Huervas the city government will also continue to help and give support to the youth as they play an important role on helping the economy grow.